Did you know that antioxidants can prevent or delay cell damage, and may even prevent cancer? These powerful substances are mostly found in fruits and vegetables, as well as green tea. Which is why I created an antioxidant lemon blueberry green tea.
Both the green tea and blueberries contain antioxidants. The lemon offers a refreshing taste and provides vitamin C. But the purpose for adding a bit of fresh lemon juice to this tea is because it enhances the absorption of the antioxidants.
Green tea is naturally caffeinated. Although you can purchase decaffeinated green tea, I encourage you to purchase a natural, organic green tea. This ensures that none of the beneficial ingredients have been tampered with.
An 8 ounce serving of green tea has about 25 milligrams of caffeine. Compare that to an average cup of coffee, which has roughly 85 milligrams of caffeine. So yes, you’ll be getting a small amount of caffeine, but not too much.
I suggest making a batch of the tea in the morning to start your day. The caffeine will give your morning a little boost (and will remain in your system throughout the workday). The antioxidants will give you a burst of energy. The lemon will awaken your senses and increase the absorption of those antioxidants. Many people even believe that a morning cup of tea with fresh lemon stimulates your digestion and metabolism.
After brewing your tea bags, pour the tea into your Vitamix Aer Disc container with the blueberries, fresh lemon, and sweetener. Give it a quick blend, then strain before enjoying!
Antioxidant Lemon Blueberry Green Tea
This green tea punch is loaded with blueberry antioxidants. You won’t be able to have only one glass!
- 4 cups water
- 3 green tea bags
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/4-1/2 cup honey or sugar
- ½ lemon, sliced into 2 lemon quarters
- Boil the 4 cups of water. Steep the 3 green tea bags into the 4 cups of water for 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the tea into the blender. Add the blueberries, sugar/honey, and fresh lemon wedges. Blend on high for 30-60 seconds, until lemon and blueberries are juiced.
- Strain into a pitcher. Taste to see if the level of sugar needs to be adjusted. tne chill before serving.
- Optional: garnish each glass with a fresh lemon slice or a sprig of mint leaves.
Hint: make a double batch – one glass for today and another for tomorrow morning!