Broccoli and cheddar cheese pair together like peanut butter and jelly. The earthy green texture of the broccoli and the creamy yet sharp cheddar are more complimentary than even the classic meat and potatoes combination.
Panera Bread believes that “good food can bring out the best in all of us.” This copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup will definitely enhance your life!
First of all, it’s simple. Dump in the crockpot and go about your life. Stir in some cream and cheese right at the end before taking a bite. That’s the most uncomplicated dinner!
First, chop up onion, broccoli, and carrots. If your mornings are tight, chop up the veggies the night before.
Then, combine flour and the broth (any kind—we recommend veggie or chicken) in the crockpot. Whish until all the lumps disappear.
Add in the remaining seasonings and give it another whisk.
Now dump in the vegetables and stir to combine.
Turn on your crockpot and walk away.
A few minutes before mealtime, add the final touches. Using an immersion blender or your Vitamix blender, puree about half of the soup. You want some chunks in there but you also want the “broth” to get nice and thick.
Then stir in some whole milk or half and half. And the final touch, of course, is the cheddar cheese!
Sprinkle extra cheese and pepper on top before serving. Don’t forget a nice crusty piece of bread or a fresh salad on the side!
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 cups whole milk/half and half
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add broth and flour to crockpot. Whisk together.
- Add onions, broccoli, carrots, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and mustard. Stir together.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- 15 minutes before eating, stir in the milk/half and half and the cheddar cheese. Stir together.
- Using an immersion blender, blend half of the soup so that it’s thick with some chunks. Or pour half of the soup into your Vitamix blender and pulse on high 5-8 times, then return to the crockpot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 385Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 803mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 22g