Want to wow your guests at your next dinner party? Surprise them with an elegant Fresh Lemon Granita.
After dinner (maybe start with a Clean Caesar Salad, followed by a Mexican dish topped with fresh tomato salsa, and complete with Apple Betty for dessert?), you can make this dessert in less than 10 minutes—just enough time for everyone to use the bathroom, freshen up, or head outside to the patio.
First, simmer lemon juice (fresh or from a bottle), water, and sugar in a pan until the sugar has dissolved (less than 5 minutes). You can finish cleaning up dishes during this step!
Then put the pan in the freezer for a few minutes to cool. (In a rush? That’s okay. Skip this step, but add extra ice to the recipe, and know that your granita will be less potent!)
Combine the lemon mixture in a blender with ice. If desired, spike the granita with rum or the alcohol of your choice. Blend on high for 30-45 seconds, until you ice is the consistency that you want. I like it a bit chunkier but pureed ice is refreshing as well.
Next, pour the granita into glasses and serve immediately. For an extra touch, freeze the glasses first so they are cold and frosted. A lemon wheel or sprig of herbs are a nice addition too.
When you carry these Lemon Granitas out to your guests, they will feel like they are being pampered in a five star hotel!
- ½ cup lemon juice (approximately 2½ lemons)
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 4-5 cups ice
- Optional: ½ cup rum or desired alcohol
- In a small pot, simmer the lemon juice, water, and sugar over medium heat until all of the sugar has dissolved, about 3-5 minutes.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool.
- Fill the blender with 4-5 cups of ice. After the lemon mixture has cooled, pour that into the blender. (If using alcohol, add to the blender during this step.)
- Blend for 30-45 seconds on medium speed until all of the ice is coarsely ground.
- Enjoy immediately.
Optional touches: freeze glass to make it cold and frosted before filling with granita. Add a lemon wheel to the edge of the cup or decorate with a sprig of herbs before serving.
Place the leftovers in a freezer-proof container lined with parchment paper. To enjoy the leftovers, thaw for a few minutes then toss in the blender.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 25gProtein: 0g