You know those days when you haven’t even thought about dinner and it’s already 5 o’clock? Those are the nights where we usually have something quick with a salad on the side…because a salad is (almost) always the perfect side dish.
I was in that position yesterday. It was after 5 and I was just considering dinner. Without a weekly meal plan to back me up (because it’s been one of those weeks where I’m a bit behind schedule on everything), I was stuck. Insert the perfect salad here.
I quickly threw together a chicken pot pie and made a side salad. I wanted a fresh and flavorful dressing that would pair well with the comforting flavors of cream of chicken soup inside of the pot pie. In typical fashion with my last-minute meal, I whipped up a quick dressing in my Vitamix Aer container.
Hint #1: I always include these ingredients in my weeknight salad dressings:
- Balsamic vinegar or glaze
- Yellow mustard
- Garlic powder
The mustard in particular is like a secret weapon; the dressing is “missing something” without it! To add extra protein and flavor, I opted for hemp hearts, pesto and freshly grated parmesan cheese. That’s one thing the Vitamix Aer does well: it completely incorporates finely grated cheese or herbs (pesto) into the mixture.
Hint #2: hemp seeds add the perfect degree of nuttiness to any dressing, salad, sauce or smoothie!
The red pepper flakes also add a dash of spice. Personally, I like a generous portion of pepper in this dressing to offer even more kick. Thin to your preference with the olive oil, and make it even lighter by adding additional lemon juice.
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp pesto, any variety
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1½ Tbsp hemp hearts
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus extra if it needs to be thinned out
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients to the Vitamix Aer container in the order listed.
- Run on variable 10 for 30-60 seconds until all ingredients are incorporated. If necessary to thin out the dressing, pour additional olive oil through the lid while on variable 10.
- Serve over a salad of fresh greens. Would also make an excellent dipping sauce for crusty bread!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 227Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g