When you’re in the mood for Italian food, serve up a hearty bowl of pasta with a homemade tomato sauce! Although buying a jar of spaghetti sauce is convenient, making a quick batch of homemade sauce is easy with your high-powered blender.
Get things started by heating up a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in your stock pot. Dice up onions and garlic to simmer in the oil. While that’s in the pot, cut large, fresh tomatoes into quarters and add them to your blender. Pulse a few times until roughly chopped. Add to your stock pot and simmer for a few minutes…or a few hours!
Add in some arrowroot powder and tomato paste to thicken the mixture. If you like your sauce thin, dump the mixture back into your blender or use an immersion blender. For friends who prefer the sauce chunky, just let it simmer and it will naturally soften the chunks.
Homemade Tomato Pasta Sauce
A quick spaghetti sauce make partially in the blender and partially on the stove top.
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 extra large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 heaping Tbsp pesto
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp arrorwroot/cornstarch diluted in 2 Tbsp water
- Heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a stock pot. Add onions and garlic to simmer for 3-5 minutes (until the onions are translucent and the garlic is aromatic).
- Toss quartered tomatoes into blender and pulse for a few seconds until loosely chopped. Add to pot.
- Add in pesto and herbs
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes (or as long as you want, up to 2 hours).
- Stir in tomato paste and arrorwroot/cornstarch until mixture thickens. Serve immediately over a fresh bed of pasta.
A few tablespoons of herbs, like oregano, basil, or parsley, add a nice depth of flavor. If you want a punch of flavor without too much effort, spoon a heaping tablespoon of pesto (any kind) into the sauce. A dash of cinnamon or an orange rind are secret ingredients that will make your homemade spaghetti sauce one-of-a-kind!