To this day, when I walk into a gas station, I’m flooded with childhood memories of when my parents would buy me a coke Icee! We rarely drank soda and we seldom were allowed to buy things in the gas station. So when we were given an Icee that was also a soda, it was an extra special treat!
I still don’t drink soda very often, but I adore fruit. There are so many diverse flavors! Today I had a mango ripening on my counter and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it…eat it! But not just eat it, I wanted to make it into a cold dessert.
There’s something tasty about an iced dessert, especially when it’s tropical flavored like mango. The natural orange hues and the sweet paradise flavors will transport your daydreams to sunny beaches with crashing waves.
When the Winter blues have you down, brighten your day with a homemade mango icee! It has rained for the past 6 days here (in Tennessee) and I’m going a little stir crazy. I knew that this mango treat would be the perfect pick-me-up.
Sigh. It was satisfying. I slurped and savored it as I watched the rain drizzle on my backyard. Bonus – I ate half today and stored the other half in the freezer for another rainy day!
- 1 whole mango, peeled and pitted, Or roughly 1.5-2 cups of frozen mango
- 1 cup water or fruit juice, I prefer 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup fruit juice
- 2 cups ice
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- Place all ingredients in blender.
- Turn blender on low until the ice begins to break up.
- Increase the speed to high until all ingredients are combined, using the tamper if necessary.
- If needed, add additional water/fruit juice 1/4 cup at a time until all ingredients blend smoothly.
Make the whole recipe and freeze the remainder for another time! Allow to sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to partially thaw.
Any kind of fruit juice is delicious in this recipe, but I would recommend tropical flavors because they coordinate best with mango.