It’s peach season! One of my dear friends went home to South Carolina for the weekend, and returned on Monday with four overflowing wicker baskets of fresh, southern peaches.
They don’t give off the appearance of perfection like peaches in the grocery store. Their skin is beginning to wrinkle, there are mini brown spots, and they are not all the exact same size. That’s the beauty of farming – the trees will grow the peaches to each be unique. We can pick them, and enjoy them in multiple ways.
If you have a few fresh peaches that are aging rapidly, don’t throw them away! (Well, you can always freeze fruit for smoothies.) Take 2 minutes to treat yourself to a frozen peach dessert.
Gently peel the peaches. Some varieties will need to be peeled with a potato peeler, while the skin on other kinds will just slip right off. Don’t forget to remove the pit as well. Toss those juicy orange fruit slices into your blender.
Dump in 2 cups of ice. If you really want a sweet treat, add in 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey. For an alcoholic treat, add a shot of white wine or your preferred alcohol (like vodka or rum).
Next, blend on high until the peaches have dissolved into the pulverized ice. Pour the thick frozen treat into a bowl, and scoop the chilled goodness into your mouth.
You can freeze the leftovers to have again another day. Just remember to let it sit on the counter to thaw before you want to eat it. Or, if you don’t have the patience, scrap the frozen peach icee with a handy grapefruit spoon!
A simple treat of peaches and ice, blended into a decadent icee. Extra sugar and alcohol are optional!
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 cups ice
- Place the peaches (peeled, pitted, and sliced) into the blender.
- Add in the ice.
- Run on high for 30 seconds, until all of the ice and peaches are fully blended.
- Eat immediately.
- If you want your icee to be sweeter, add a tablespoon of sugar or honey before blending.
- If desired, add in one shot of your favorite alcohol (white wine, rum, or vodka are the best options).
- Freeze leftovers for another time! Just allow the icee to sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes to partially thaw before eating.
Tip: Scrape the icee with a grapefruit spoon if simply can’t wait for your treat to thaw!