Growing up, dinner was always a nightly family event in my home. Everyone sat down together to eat whatever homemade meal my mother had prepared. I would watch my brothers smear a pad of butter onto their triangle of cornbread. Then they would drizzle honey over the top as if it was pure candy. But personally, I didn’t like cornbread.
I’m so glad I’ve grown up, because now I love cornbread! The medium grind of the cornmeal satisfies my desire for texture, and honey blends the perfect amount of sweetness to the neutral flavor of corn. And it also happens to be easy to prepare.
This skillet honey cornbread recipe is made from freshly ground cornmeal and cooks to perfection in a cast iron skillet.
If you’ve never made homemade cornmeal, it’s pretty simple. Toss organic, non-GMO popcorn kernals into your Vitamix dry grains container and run on high for one minute. That’s it!
After it’s ground, you can toss in the other dry ingredients and let the blender gently mix them together.
In a separate bowl, you’ll combine the wet ingredients, and then stir in the dry ingredients from your Vitamix cup. Pour the batter into a pre-heated skillet, and bake for 18 minutes until it’s deliciously golden.
Like my brothers, you can also top your skillet honey cornbread with a pad of butter and an extra drizzle of honey.
Skillet Honey Cornbread
Grind popcorn kernels into homemade cornmeal, then bake a skillet of honey cornbread!
- 2 cups cornmeal (approximately 1½ cups popcorn kernels)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Warm cast iron skillet in the oven for at least 10 minutes.
- Grind popcorn kernels into cornmeal in the Vitamix Dry Grains container on high for 1 minute.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Run on low for a few seconds until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake approximately 18 minutes until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve immediately and enjoy it warm!
Substitute for buttermilk: add 1 Tbsp lemon juice to a measuring cup, then fill with milk (any kind) to the 1 cup line. Stir and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 544mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g