The Only Superfood Smoothie Recipe You’ll Ever Need
I’m not a coffee-drinker.
I know…your jaw just dropped, your eyes opened wide, and your heart skipped a beat. You’re probably wondering, “How can you possibly survive without coffee? How do you have enough energy to make it through your day?” The answer is simple: I start my day with a superfood smoothie.
Well, I actually start my day with exercise. As soon as I roll out of bed I put on my athletic clothes and get my body moving. But then I make my superfood smoothie. While I’m riding my bike, power walking, or lifting weights, I look forward to my delicious and refreshing superfood smoothie. I know my full glass will pack a punch of well-rounded nutrients to fuel my body for the entire rest of the day.
This is my go-to recipe for a morning burst of energy. It’s packed with antioxidants (fruits), vitamins (veggies), probiotics (dairy) and protein (seeds).What more could you want in a smoothie?
- 1 frozen banana
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup frozen mixed fruit, strawberries, peaches, mango, etc.
- ⅔ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- ¼ cup vanilla yogurt, regular or Greek
- ¼ cup kefir, any flavor (blueberry is my favorite!)
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 small beet, peeled
- 1 Handful of kale, destemmed
- 1 Handful of spinach, roughly 1 cup
- 1 tablespoon whole flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Peel the carrot and beet. Place in the bottom of the blender cup.
- Add milk, yogurt and kefir.
- Next add the flax seeds, hemp hearts and chia seeds.
- Add the spinach and kale.
- Dump in the frozen fruit.
- Blend on low and gradually increase the power until on high.
- Blend for 30 seconds or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
You do not necessarily have to add the ingredients to the blender cup in that order! I just find that they items blend together better if I follow that pattern (root vegetables, liquids, seeds, greens, fruit).
I may try coffee someday, but for now I’m sticking with my beloved superfood smoothie!