One of my favorite snacks to eat while watching football with friends is nachos and cheese, but I always feel guilty eating cheese from a jar. Luckily, I’ve found a healthier replacement, this vegan nacho cheese, and I think it even tastes better than regular nacho cheese.
Homemade vegan cheese can come in many variations, but this one uses a base of cashews and has a little, spicy kick.
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight or for at least 6 hours)
- 1 medium red bell pepper with seeds removed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1/2 Habanero (optional, this will make it VERY spicy)
- Drain the cashews and add all ingredients to the blender container.
- Start the blender on a low speed and slowly increase to high.
- Blend on high for 4-5 minutes until smooth and the cheese sauce becomes warm.
The leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days, but once you and your friends try it, I’ll bet that there isn’t much left!