There is something crisp and refreshing about a fresh Caesar Salad. The creamy dressy blends perfectly with an extra dose of pepper and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Which is why Caesar dressing was the first recipe I made using my new Vitamix Aer container.
Because the Vitamix Aer container uses a disc instead of blades, I knew it would be the ideal way to blend this dressing without slicing the cheese or grinding the chunky pieces of pepper.
To my surprise, Caesar dressing is often made using anchovies. I’m not a fan of anchovies, so I wanted to make this dressing without the oily fish. To compensate, I included extra black pepper and a little bit more olive oil. If you still find this dressing too thick, add in more olive oil, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
As always, a high quality extra virgin olive oil will offer a richer taste. If you’re not looking for a stronger flavor, use red wine vinegar instead of balsamic.
I served this over a salad of romaine and spinach with slices of Italian-herb roasted chicken breast. On the side I had a slice of fresh French bread with salted butter.
Most often you’ll see Caesar salad paired with crunchy French bread croutons. Because I have a sweet spot for salted butter, I kept the bread fresh. But you can create croutons by slicing the French bread into 1 inch cubes and toasting in the oven at 350 until crispy, 5-10 minutes. (Be sure to watch them so they do not burn!)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients to the blender container except for the olive oil.
- Blend on low until the ingredients begin to combine.
- With the blender still on low, carefully open the pouring spout and gradually pour in the olive oil. Continue to mix on low until the dressing is a smooth consistency.
- Pour the dressing into a jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
This recipe makes 8 servings of 2 Tablespoons each.
Serve over a salad. Pairs well with french bread croutons and grilled chicken.