You can’t beat the flavor of homemade bread! Especially when it’s warm out of the oven, smeared with a pad of salted butter or fruit jam. However, homemade bread has one major downfall: it’s time-consuming…until now!
You can make homemade Whole Wheat Honey Bread using your Vitamix blender! Like most bread recipes, this one begins by combining warm water with active dry yeast. You’ll also add the honey to this mixture and allow it to bubble for 5 minutes.
Add fresh wheat berries in the blender cup. Grind for one minute until you have freshly ground flour. (Learn more about wheat berries and how to grind your own grain here). Or, you can use store-bought whole wheat flour.
Add the flour and salt to the blender cup and run for a few seconds until a hole forms in the center. Next, add oil, lemon juice, and the bubbly yeast mixture through the lid into the flour well. Quickly turn your Vitamix on and off a few times to combine the ingredients.
Pour the dough into a sprayed loaf pan and allow to rise until doubled in size, roughly 30 minutes. Then, bake for 35 minutes.
Can you believe how simple that is? And you only dirtied your Vitamix cup, a few measuring spoons, and one loaf pan. Not to mention, you made bread in just over one hour (although it only took about 10 minutes of actual work).
This Whole Wheat Honey Bread takes less than 10 minutes to prepare the dough, 30 minutes to rise, and 35 minutes to bake. If you’re like me, you love your Vitamix even more (if that’s possible) and you’re ready to tackle the easy task of weekly bread baking!
- 1¼ cup warm water (105-115°F)
- 1 packet of active dry yeast (1 Tbsp)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 3¼ cup (390 g) whole wheat flour, or approximately 2 cups of hard red wheat berries
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Proof the yeast by combining it with warm water and honey. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray, or baste lightly with olive oil.
- Grind 2 cups of wheat berries on high for one minute to make fresh flour. Measure out exactly 390 grams. Or use 3 ¼ cup of store-bought whole wheat flour.
- Add the flour and salt to the blender cup. Blend on medium speed for a few seconds until a well forms in the cender.
- Pour the yeast mixture, oil, and lemon juice into the flour well in the blender cup.
- Secure the lid and turn the machine on high for only 1 second. Repeat 5 times.
- Using a nylon spatula, scrape the sides of the container.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 five times, or until the dough is soft and elastic.
- Using a nylon spatula, pour the dough into the prepared pan and shape it into a loaf. Hint: wet the spatula to scrape the sides of the container so the dough won’t stick to it.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until the dough reaches the top of the loaf pan. Hint: turn your oven to warm for one minute, then turn the oven off and let the dough rise in there.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, or until the bread is 200°F internally.
- Cool on a rack for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove from the pan to cool completely.
Store in the refrigerator. Eat within 5-7 days.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 179mg Carbohydrates: 51g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g