Nothing says Autumn quite like a warm bowl of fresh applesauce. Especially when it’s lightly seasoned with cinnamon and still warm.
If you’ve never made applesauce before, this season is the time to give it a try! You can make this recipe with any variety of apple, so pick your favorite.
First, peel and core your apples. It will save you time if you have a fancy appliance. If not, challenge yourself to peel the entire apple skin in only one piece. (It’s more fun than you think!)
Next, dice up the apples into small chunks. Small sizes will cook more quickly and make it easier to blend, but no need to be precise.
Now cover the bottom of a pot with less than an inch of water. Dump in the apples and stir in a few shakes of cinnamon. Simmer with the lid on for 5-10 minutes, until the apples are fork tender.
Pour half of the cooked apples into the Vitamix container and run on medium speed until they are pureed. Combine with the other half of chunked apples, a tablespoon of lemon juice, and a drizzle of honey (depending on how sweet you’d like it).
Enjoy your slightly chunky bowl of steaming homemade applesauce! Bonus points if you enjoy it beside a campfire or wrapped in a flannel blanket.
- 5-10 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- ½ cup of water
- ½ Tbsp cinnamon, adjusted to your preference
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp honey, adjusted to your preference
- Wash, peel, core, and dice your apples.
- Simmer the water in a stock pot over medium heat. Add in the apples and cinnamon.
- Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until fork tender.
- Pour half of the apples into the Vitamix, and blend on medium speed for 30 seconds until pureed.
- Combine the chunked apples and the pureed apples in a bowl with the lemon juice and honey.
- Serve immediately while warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 98gFiber: 12gSugar: 82gProtein: 1g