Psst…wanna hear a baking secret?
Okay, are you ready? Here it is…prepare to be amazed!
Powdered sugar is nothing fancy. It’s actually regular sugar finely ground and combined with cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) to keep from caking.
Ta-da! Can you believe that baking secret? Why have we been buying special powdered sugar when we could easily make this at home?
Now you can – in your Vitamix blender! (Unfortunately a good processor or a low-grade blender won’t be as effective at this.) It’s honestly as simple as it sounds.
- Dump 1 cup of sugar into the blender cup. Any kind works: standard white sugar, cane sugar, turbinado sugar, coconut sugar, etc.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot powder. This is an anti-caking agent that leaves your powdered sugar nice and fluffy, just like you expect it to be.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds. This is where the magic happens. Ta-da!
- Use as normal, or store in the pantry in a closed container.
Bonus baking tip: Mixing powdered sugar with milk (and food dye) forms a nice paste that is perfect for decorating cookies or cakes!
Add a dash of vanilla or maple syrup or cocoa powder or mint extract to experiment with the flavor.
- 1 cup sugar, any kind
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder, or organic corn starch
- Add 1 cup of sugar and 1 Tbsp arrowroot/cornstarch to the blender.
- Blend on high for 30 seconds.
- Store in the pantry or use as normal powdered sugar.