I was first introduced to these homemade almond brownies in Sweden. Kladdkaka is a typical dessert served with coffee in their culture, and is literally translated to “sticky cake.”
They aren’t sticky like honey. Rather, they are gooey like a perfectly baked chocolate chip cookie. And oh my goodness, you will definitely enjoy their soft, moist texture!
Like typical brownies, these treats only require a few ingredients. The best part is that these are gluten-free because they call for almond flour instead of all-purpose flour!
First, grind up ½ cup fresh almonds in your Vitamix dry grains container. This will create homemade almond flour. While the butter melts (either on the stovetop or in the microwave), whisk together the eggs and sugar. Then gradually add in the cocoa powder, salt, almond flour, and butter.
Pour the smooth batter into a 9-inch round pan and bake for 20 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the cake is set on top but still sticky on the inside. I tilt the pan sideways – if it’s runny, it’s not done; if it doesn’t move, take it out of the oven.
Lastly, sprinkle a light dusting of powdered sugar on top. Then grab a spoon and a cup of coffee so you can thoroughly enjoy a slice of this Swedish “sticky cake!”
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup of heaping cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 9-inch round pan with wax paper, or grease it well.
- Grind the almonds in the Vitamix Dry Grains container for 1 minute on high, until you’re left with almond flour.
- Whisk together the eggs and sugar. Gradually whisk in the cocoa powder, salt, and almond flour. Stir in the melted butter until the batter is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, until it is set on top but still gooey in the middle. Tip: Tilt the pan to the side - if the cake looks runny, it’s not done yet; if the cake doesn’t move, it’s done baking.
- Let the cake cool for at least 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 208mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 2gSugar: 40gProtein: 4g