- Do you know how many letters are in the longest English word? (45 letters)
- Do you know how long the world’s longest crocodile is? (over 17 feet)
- Do you know how long Santa’s Naughty or Nice list is? (Over half a billion names)
- Do you know how many ingredients are in Taco Seasoning? Too many!
Since we eat Mexican-inspired dishes at least once a week in our house, we consume plenty of taco seasoning. (Thank you for jumbo sizes and big box stores!) However, one day I glanced at the label and—gasp!—I was amazing at how many ingredients were included!
I expected to see herbs like cumin, garlic, and something spicy. But I was not prepared to see maltodextrin (a processed thickener that contains GMO and MSG), silicon dioxide (an anti-caking agent that may contain harmful nanoparticles, and natural flavors (addictive flavorings that are partially natural), among other chemical names that I’m not trained enough to read.
After a glance at the back of my taco seasoning container, I quickly decided to make my own homemade taco seasoning. After all, it’s just the perfect combination of spices herbs, right? Yes!
Dump this balanced combination of spices and herbs into your Vitamix blender, magically blend together in ten seconds, and ta-da: homemade taco seasoning in two minutes!
Pro tip: Wash out your previous taco seasoning jar, let it fully dry, then refill with your homemade taco seasoning!
- ¼ cup cumin
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp lemon zest (or 1 tsp lemon pepper)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne
- Add all ingredients into the Vitamix standard blender cup or the dry grains cup.
- Gradually increase to the highest speed, and blend for 10 seconds.
- Store in a jar.
Modify for your preferences! Add more cayenne for heat, or more garlic and onion for flavor.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 18Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 199mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 1g