Mediterranean food abounds with spice and flavors! My family loves when I make homemade gyros for dinner, but I was in the mood for something different this time. So I thought about a loaded Greek salad.
I have a freshly tossed salad with various kinds of lettuce. I topped it with sliced tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, and strips of homemade gyro meat. Delicious!
Next I experimented with how I could transform the thick tzatziki sauce into a salad dressing. I pulled out my Vitamix Aer container and drizzled in olive oil and Greek yogurt for the base. Tzatziki sauce isn’t complete without copious amounts of dill, so I generously added dried dill. A sprinkle of seasoning salt completed the mixture. After the ingredients were combined, I tossed in my shredded cucumber and turned on the blender again, both to incorporate the cucumber and to make the dressing fluffier.
Helpful note: Pour the olive oil into your blender first, and then the greek yogurt. This helps the blender disc mix the ingredients together. If necessary, stop and scrape the sides of the container with a spatula, or simply add extra olive oil to the mixture. For added flavor, try using sunflower oil or grapeseed oil.
I found that the olive oil and blender disc make this dressing thick yet pour-able. I drizzled it over my Greek salad and enjoyed that tasty perfection…which included extra dill and feta of course!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbs dill
- 1 tsp dried garlic
- 1 tsp seasoning salt
- 1 large or 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and shredded
- Pour the olive oil into the Vitamix Aer container.
- Next, add in the dried garlic flakes, dried dill, and seasoning salt. Allow to sit (to reconstitute the garlic flakes) while you peel and shred the cucumber. Set aside.
- Add the Greek yogurt. Turn the blender on to level 2 or 3 for 20 seconds, until the mixture begins to incorporate.
- Dump in the shredded cucumber and turn on the blender to level 2 for 20 seconds until fully mixed.
Thin with extra olive oil if necessary. Serve over a loaded Greek salad or gyros.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 144 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 202mg Carbohydrates: 3g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g