Is your summer garden being overrun by your rampant tomato plants? Don’t let those juicy tomatoes go to waste! Pick as many as you can, then whip up a refreshing batch of blender salsa.
With just a few ingredients, this recipe takes no time to prepare.
- Simply peel and chop some onion and garlic.
- Seed and chop a jalapeño. (Don’t forget to wear gloves when chopping spicy peppers! I’ve accidentally touched my face after chopping and sorely regretted it) This step is optional, depending on how well you can handle heat. My crew is a bit wimpy so we hardly add any jalapaño.
- Roughly chop a handful of tomatoes. Any variety, color size and shape tomatoes work!
- Toss in blender, adding a few tomatoes at a time to balance between blended salsa and remaining chunks.
My family gobbles up this salsa with tortilla chips, especially if I serve it with guacamole. I love to use it on top of tacos, inside of burritos, or spooned over a quesadilla. And it’s always a crowd pleaser during football viewing parties!
You can also can this salsa in jars to save it for the winter. Nothing beats fresh tomato salsa during mid-winter when certain veggies just seem to lose their flavor.
Are you fresh tomatoes staring you down? Go ahead and toss them in your blender for a batch of fresh salsa!
Fresh Blender Salsa
Don't let your fresh tomatoes go to waste! This fresh blender salsa requires only a few ingredients to create an amazingly delicious and refreshing snack that everyone is sure to love.
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ jalapeño, seeded (optional: add more jalapeño to increase the level of spice)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 Roma tomatoes, quartered
- Place onion, garlic, jalapeño, cilantro, lemon juice, and lime juice and 2 tomatoes into the blender.
- Turn blender on and gradually increase speed to medium. Blend for 10-15 seconds.
- Open the plug of the blender lid and add the remaining 4 tomatoes to the mixture.
- Blend for 15-30 seconds, until mixed yet slightly chunky. (Be careful not to overblend!)
- Enjoy with tortilla chips or over your favorite Southwestern dish!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 18Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 1g